Friday, February 17, 2012

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

I have always been fascinated with the Academy Awards Night – I remember I would stay up really late to watch it live, as I was eager to see all those stars walking down the red carpet in magnificent dresses and jewels, and shoes; and then I would side with my favorite actress the moment the winner for her category was told. And when I say: ‘always’, I mean, I still do it – especially now I live a few miles away from Hollywood, from the grand glamour. My favorite parts are definitely shoes, and hairdos. But I usually always make the effort of being aware of who the nominees are, and usually choose who I want to win.

Best Actor and Best Actress in a Leading Role and Best Picture are the categories I enjoy the most. Not really original. The others, I don’t mind. But there are two I have always almost loathed: Best Actor and Actress in a Supporting Role. How in the world, I would think, would anyone want to be awarded for being best number two? How could anyone want to be celebrated because they were not chosen to be the protagonist? I was very young, and my thinking was simple and straight. I thought, if I ever were to be an actress, I wouldn’t ever want not to be the protagonist. Just as in life - I used to think – I don’t want not to be the protagonist.

Time has passed, and things have happened. I left my home and world to be with my husband on the other side of the world. The words ‘Supporting Role’ have acquired a brand new meaning as I struggle to adjust to a life which I still find it does not belong to me. Is it that bad not the be the protagonist? I mean, in life, is it that bad to give up oneself and just function as a support in someone else’s life?

I don’t have an answer yet. So any is welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I have no answer either. I only have an intuition: what it really counts is just BEING, whatever happens.
    My thought goes to the queen of "supporting roles": Michelle Obama. I'm sure she can teach something to all of us;)

    ReplyDelete