Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Home Alone. No. Not like in the movie.

He just freaking left me home! He asked, do you want to go to the ocean and meet my friends there? I said, no, you know I hate the ocean, it's windy and cold, and I am still sick. He asked, do you want to stay home then? I said, no, I don't; but the ocean, I don't like it, you know it. He said, yeah, I know. He said again, OK then, see you later. And just freaking left.

What about calling your friends and suggesting meeting somewhere else?

He took the car, he could not have gone otherwise. But, fact is, we only have one. Which leaves me without one, and home, and alone. What am I supposed to do? Just what am I supposed to do? Cannot drive to see anyone, cannot go shopping, cannot go anywhere. Reading? I have read all week long... Cleaning? No, thanks, that's enough for my Mondays. Cooking? The fridge is empty. TV? Overdosed already. I might walk to the park, except.... it's raining... and we don't have am umbrella, because who needs an umbrella in California? Sometimes I wish I had some hobbies, like painting, or playing any instruments. It would keep me busy. But I don't. I just am, dull; a pretty face; a decent socialite; a good fashion sense; but not much more. This is why, I think, he just freaking left me home.

Which takes me back to all those other men who left me home. Or better, left me behind.

Matt, my safe harbor. He was in love with me for so long. But I wanted to explore the world, because I knew he would wait for me, and always be there. And he was for a long while. The long while it took me to realize I actually did not want to explore anything or waste any more minutes. The long while it took me to realize that he was the only world I wanted, and exploring on my own wasn't fun. Except that, when I looked for him to tell him, he had moved on, and left me behind.

Or Paul, the boxer. He had just broke up when he made his move. Again, I was head over heels. And he seemed happy, until he told me he was dating his ex again. While dating me! Which led to the inevitable next step: he dumped me. But I let him know he broke my heart. After a few months we talked, and he apologized. He said he had made his move on me out of anger. He told me I was a great girl, but he was still in love wit his ex all along . Ouch. He said, You won, anyway. I said, what do you mean? He said, you see, I used you, just to appease my anger. I said, what you are saying now is not making you look any better. He said, I know; I am sorry. I said, I was the one who ended up brokenhearted, so why do you think I won? He said, the thing is, I mistreated you so badly; I won you over then got rid of you as soon as my ex gave me another chance. I said, I remember. He said, I was selfish; I wanted to be selfish; I did not care about how you would feel. I said, I got over it. He said, this is the point; you forgave me, while I still hate my ex – she had dumped him again. Oh well, I guess that's make up for a broken heart...

And Ben, the teacher. He bought me roses once, and once took me out to a concert. He would call me pretty often. Ah, romance. But the day I told him I was not in love with him, he answered, I am not either! What did you think? I said, well, I don't know.... He said, you are some piece of work, you know? I said, I'm sorry, I did not mean to assume anything... He said, too late, I didn't like it; I think I don't like you. And left. Never heard of him again. What about that?

And Steven, my coworker. He was cute. A bit too put together, if you asked me, but hey, definitely cute. I think he liked me from the beginning, but it took him some time to ask me out. And when he did, I was trying to get over my last flop, so I turned him down as gently as I could. But as soon as I felt I could date again, I went back to him, and tried to remind him of his invitation. And he turned a deaf ear on me! Well, maybe this is half- half.


Anyway, the list goes on and on. Now that I think about that I have been left behind quite a few times... And I have always thought it was them to blame, those unreliable, hurtful, proud men. It never crossed my mind it might have been me, I might not have been good enough. Never! Naïve. Because, you know, this rainy afternoon when my husband left me home is getting me to think: is it them? Or is it me? It is that I have no depth? No three, or four, dimensions? No interests? No talents? I definitely should take up painting. But I think I might do bad, as I always miss the bigger picture. Maybe I should become a nature lover and try and enjoy hiking on these wonderful hills - except, I am really, really scared of mountain lions. And rattlesnakes. And bears. What about …. Hm... Well, I think I have done enough thinking for today. Too much already. Come to difficult conclusions. Hard truths. How will I get back to be happy about myself? About what I am and what I am not? Where will I find peace? Well. For today I think I'll just buy myself some peace on the Amazon....

No comments:

Post a Comment